All the canvases except for the two battle scenes were originally provided with banderoles identifying the subjects from Lucius Annaeus Florus's Epitomae de Tito Livio belorum . The greatest challenge Tiepolo faced in the Ca' Dolfin canvases was the need to adapt visually complex stories to restrictive vertical picture fields, a challenge that was especially acute in this work and the other Triumph.

Previously triumphs had always been shown as processions across the picture surface, but Tiepolo rotated each procession ninety degrees, so that it moves from the background into the foreground and threatens to spill out of the picture plane into the real space of the spectator.

13, as "Trionfo di Aureliano"; states incorrectly that Miller acquired the ten paintings in 1870, and adds that he installed the three works now in the MMA on the staircase of his palace; cites references to the pictures in letters (Museo Correr, Venice) of Luigi Ballarini, Andrea Dolfin's agent, during the period 1780–92. Giambattista und Domenico Tiepolo: Ihr Leben und Ihre Werke.

de Liphart Les anciennes écoles de peinture dans les palais et collections privées russes, représentées à l'exposition organisée à St.-Pétersbourg en 1909 par la revue d'art ancien "Staryé gody".

1, notes that he saw the paintings still in place in 1870, when the Ca' Dolfin was in a state of ruin; mentions that the dealer Guggenheim bought some of the contents for 20,000 lire [implying that this price includes more items than the ten Tiepolo paintings] and sold the Tiepolo pictures to Miller for 50,000 lire.

"Tiepolos Schlachtenbilder in Wiener Privatbesitz." Der Cicerone 7 (1915), pp. 2, as "Triumph Aurelians nach der Einnahme von Palmyra"; dates the series about 1720. I Dolfin (Delfino) patrizii veneziani nella storia di Venezia dall'anno 452 al 1923.

18, mentions the Ca' Dolfin pictures among Tiepolo's early works.

22–23, 53, states that the Ca' Dolfin came into the hands of an art dealer about twenty-five years ago, that he sold Tiepolo's paintings, and that Eugen Miller von Aichholz brought them to Vienna; adds that Miller retains five, five having later gone to Russia; calls them early works and notes the influence of Piazzetta. To either side of the main doorway were the two squarish battle scenes, The Capture of Carthage and The Battle of Vercellae, both in the MMA, while opposite them to either side of the center window were the two narrow canvases depicting The Death of Lucius Junius Brutus and Hannibal Contemplating the Head of Hasdrubal, both in Vienna. (All the banderoles were painted over in the nineteenth century, but some have been uncovered in restoration.)What makes these pictures so compelling as works of art is the manner in which Roman history is treated as staged theater rather than archaeological fact. A sort of triptych appeared on each of the two shorter walls, with the Museum's Triumph of Marius flanked by Fabius Maximus before the Roman Senate and Cincinnatus Offered the Dictatorship, both in the Hermitage, and, opposite, The Tarantine Triumph flanked by Mucius Scaevola before Porsenna and Veturia Pleading with Coriolanus, all in the Hermitage. To a degree, this approach was typically Venetian, but Tiepolo stands apart from his contemporaries in his insistence on narrative clarity and dramatic focus: at no point does he sacrifice intensity of expression to decorative concerns. The African king Jugurtha is shown before his captor, the Roman general Gaius Marius. The thirty-year-old Tiepolo included his self-portrait among the figures on the left. This work depicts the triumphal procession of the Roman general Gaius Marius, in his chariot, with the defeated African king Jugurtha, in chains, walking before him, an event that took place in 104 B. It is from a series of ten monumental canvases of scenes from Roman history that Tiepolo painted for the grand reception room of the Palazzo Dolfin in Venice. 75, calls Tiepolo's paintings in the Ca' Dolfin early works. This painting is from a series of ten magnificent canvases painted to decorate the main room of Ca’ Dolfin, Venice.